With the right window screen, there will be a perfect look. However, broken or dirty window screens can be unattractive. You will have to remove the window screen for cleaning and repairs. By following the right steps, you will be able to remove the window screen with ease.
It has to be noted that not all windows are the same. You will have to follow the removal process of each type of window carefully. With this guide, you can remove window screens from different types of windows.
Steps On How To Remove Window Screen
1. Check The Style Of Window
The first thing that you will have to consider is the style of the window. By knowing the right type of window, you will be able to remove the screen without any hassle. Some of the common window styles are
- Sliding window: A sliding window lets you open it with ease. All you have to do is to release the latch which is holding the glass to the frame. Sliding windows can be great for difficult-to-reach areas like windows above kitchen sinks and bathrooms.
- Double-hung window: This is the most common window style in any home. In this type of window, there is an operable sash. By moving it up and down, a double-hung window offers ventilation.
- Casement window: By using a hand crank, you will be able to open the window. A casement window does not have finger lifts or pins. It has a hinge which will open.
2. Check The Type Of Window
Apart from the style, windows can also be interior and exterior.
- Interior window screen: An interior window screen will stay in place. It features a tension that offers support. Most types of sliding windows have an interior window screen.
- Exterior window screen: In contrast to the interior window screen, an exterior window screen hangs outside the window. It features plunger pins and mostly come in double-hung windows.
How To Take Out Window Screen For Different Types of Window?
1. In a Hanging Window
Removing the window screen in a hanging window lets you do it conveniently if you know there is a screen on the upper track. It can either be a window part frame or a screen frame. For removing the screen, you will have to follow these steps.
Step 1: Remove the top part of the screen by pressing on the screen.
Step 2: Pull on the pins or tabs at the bottom and push them outwards. If no pins or tabs are there, pry at the screen’s bottom by using a large putty knife.
Step 3: Once the screen is free of frame, twist and remove it.
2. In a Sliding Window
These are the steps that you will have to follow for removing the window screen in a sliding window.
Step 1: Fully open the window.
Step 2: Look for the screen tabs.
Step 3: Push the screen tabs inwards. They should be pulled towards you.
Step 4: Get the screen free.
Step 5: Twist it to remove it.
Step 6: Carefully set the screen aside.
3. In a Casement Window
Step 1: Look for tabs on the screen inside.
Step 2: Pull the tabs together. This will make the screen come out.
Step 3: Remove the screen and keep it aside.
4. For Full Window Screen
Step 1: Tilt down the sashes.
Step 2: Completely remove the sashes.
Step 3: Look for the tabs and pull on both sides simultaneously.
Step 4: Remove the screen.
Precautions To Follow When Taking Out A Window Screen
- Removing a window screen has to be done carefully. You will have to follow these safety precautions while performing the same.
- Stay balanced and do not put your weight on the window. You may fall off and injure yourself. The window screen is not strong and will not be able to hold you.
- Make sure that there is nobody under the window. That can be chances of dropping the screen while removing it.
- If you are unable to reach the height it will be better to seek the help of a neighbor or a friend. Ensure that you don’t stand on furniture to reach the Windows screen.
- If you are unable to remove the window screen, seek help from a professional person. Forcefully taking out the window screen may damage the window frame.
- While prying, make use of a wide blade. It makes sure there will be no bending. Always pry gently as it can be hazardous and lead to damage to the window frame.
- While dealing with large window screens, it will be better to take help from somebody. You will have to pull on both sides simultaneously and would require extra hands.
- Take out the window screen properly and preserve the screens. This will let you save money and time.
For any home, a window screen offers not only privacy but can also offer ventilation and brightness. Just like any other item, window screens can become old and break. It is important to remove or fix the window screens carefully. The above steps will let you remove the window screen conveniently. All you have to do is to know the right type of window so that you can follow the process with ease. Preserve the window screen carefully and make sure that you are gentle. You will have to follow all the necessary safety precautions.